Friday, February 24, 2012

Blueberry Muffins

Henry Friendly:  Yes

I love muffins.  All kinds of muffins.  Blueberry muffins are no exception.  The thing that's nice about this recipe is that it has fairly simple ingredients and is very easy to put together.  And also, it tastes good.  And it's vegan friendly.



Here's what you need:

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
2 Tbsp cornstarch
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2/3 cup milk or milk substitute
1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen

First, preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
Mix all the dry ingredients together in a bowl.
Then, pour vegetable oil (I used olive oil) to the 1/3 cup line in at least a 1 cup measuring cup.



Then, pour your milk into the measuring cup up to the one cup line.  I have used rice milk and coconut milk both with success.  More frequently I've been using vanilla Almond milk though.  I really like the flavor it adds to the mix.



Now mix up the liquid and pour it into your dry mixture.  Mix dry and liquid together.  It'll end up fairly thick.



Next, you'll need your blueberries.  Fresh are good, but I use frozen because they're convenient.  I like to have them in stock in the freezer for whenever I want them.  I like to throw the blueberries in a bowl with a tablespoon or two of flour to coat them.  This protects them a bit from bleeding into the batter.



Fold the blueberries into your batter.



Scoop into your lined muffin tins, about 2/3 full.  I ended getting nine full muffins out of mine.  I ate the rest of the batter.  It is yummy.  Try it.  You know you want to.


Then, throw them in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick (or wooden chopstick in my case) inserted in the center comes out clean.



Move to a wire rack to cool, and enjoy!





Blueberry Muffins

Print Recipe

Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 2 Tbsp cornstarch
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 2/3 cup almond, coconut or rice milk
  • 1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
Oven temp: 400 degrees F
Makes approximately 9 muffins

Instructions
  1. Mix dry ingredients together in a bowl
  2. Pour vegetable oil into measuring cup to 1/3 cup line
  3. Pour milk in with oil to 1 cup line.  Mix together
  4. Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix well
  5. Fold blueberries into batter
  6. Scoop batter into lined muffin tin, about 2/3 full
  7. Bake 20 - 25 minutes or until done
  8. Move to a wire rack and enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Jen! I'm awarding you a Sunshine Award! Go check it out here: http://www.lilmrscrafty.com/2012/02/sunshine-award.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tori! This is a cool award! I'll definitely be linking back to you soon. :)

      Delete
  2. YUM!! I will totally be making these and following this recipe! I'm new to blogging but I've shared some of my recipe escapades on my site. Some didn't go so well.. lol anyway, I'm excited to be your newest follower! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laurie! You have a really cute blog, and awesome crafts! I started following you right back. :)

      Delete